Gum disease, which is also called periodontal disease, is an infection that attacks the bones and tissues that surround and support the teeth. Gum disease is caused by the growth of bacteria from plaque on your teeth and gums. Untreated gum disease may lead to an increased risk of strokes, heart attack, and diabetes. A patient is more likely to develop gum disease if they:
• Do not practice proper oral hygiene
• Do not have regular professional teeth cleanings
• Have a history of gum disease in their family
• Have a weakened immune system
• Have a diet that is low in vitamins and minerals or high in sugar and carbohydrates
If you experience any of the following symptoms, our professional staff may treat gum disease in Key West, Florida:
• Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
• Red, swollen, or sore gums
• Bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth that will not go away
• Receding gum line
• Formation of pockets between the teeth and the gums
• Loose or drifting permanent teeth
• Changes in your bite
If you have gum disease, our dentists may recommend specialized teeth cleaning appointments. Our hygienist will gently clean the plaque and tartar from all of your teeth. If this is not sufficient, a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing may be recommended. Our doctors will clean plaque and tartar all the way down to the roots while you are under local anesthesia. Your tooth roots will then be smoothed to make it hard for plaque to adhere to them. Another option may also include periodontal surgery to halt gum disease or re-contour the bone.
Feel free to contact Isle Smile today to learn more and to schedule your next appointment with Dr. Pape, Dr. Ramjit and our team.